A blog from the pioneering class of CS3216: Software Development in Evolving Platforms (07/08 Semester 2)

Monday, April 14, 2008

So what do you dream?

Sometimes what you really want to do dosen't match what you have to do.

What do I aim for? To do things fun, to do things different, to do things most people have never done before. Especially related in computing areas.

But what good does it do to my academic studies? Honestly time and again it just keeps giving negative benefits. Screwed PSLE (yes, it goes waaaay back), secondary school, A levels.. not so sure about my uni life either. I spend more time on 3216, other modules suffer (Caleb I guess you share the same sentiments :p) but now its time to pull them back up, hopefully they can be saved :p

More concrete dreams?
1. Make cool solutions / stuff
2. Be able to teach / train kids stuff like programming, etc (definition of kids: >= 17 years old)
3. Do well in the financial market (not many can do this)

I guess the deal here is a balance between critical things which require immediate action, and your long term goals. Like what the last lecture guy said, "its the process which is important, it teaches you things". And from somewhere else, "Begin with the end in mind".

If you ask me, at this point in time, have I achieved my dreams? For the overall abstract dream, not yet. Why? Nothing different / fun enough to mention. In my own books that is.
Dream 1. Some, not not enough. Think this is rather perpetual.
Dream 2. Some small progress, not good enough. Yet.
Dream 3. Uh, yet to have any tangible results.

Some people take 5 years, others 20, or maybe even 40. Me? Not too long I hope. I think the idea here is to be on your toes to be dynamic in life, adapt to situations, and keep kicking yourself to get going. Keep revising your goals to see if they are still applicable or not, keep reviewing action plans.

Yup thats all from me.

No comments: